Lubbock Heart Hospital Certified Surgical Technoligist/ NorthStar in Lubbock, Texas
The Surgical Technologist prepares and maintains a sterile field before and during surgery, passes instruments and supplies to the surgeon, provides safe patient care and prepares instruments for operative procedures. He/she works as a member of the Operating Room team providing services to patients undergoing surgery under the direction of registered nurses.
· Functions as the Operating Room Technician on a variety of surgical procedures.
· Selects and prepares the appropriate supplies and equipment for the surgical cases.
· Operates surgical equipment i.e., the lights, suction, etc.
· Scrubs on surgical cases and participates in surgery by organizing the instrumentation and the sterile field, handing instruments to surgeon, assisting in exposure of the surgical field and performs related activities under the direction of the surgeon.
· Participates in surgical counts; instrument(s), sponge(s), sharp(s), and needle(s).
· When not scrubbed in on cases, assists the circulator in the operating room with activities such as patient transfer, positioning, management of fluids, obtaining of needed items during surgery, and assisting in room turnover activities.
· Participates in general Operating Room activities related to quality improvement, continuing education, maintenance of unit planning, orientation of new personnel, emergency preparedness.
· Transports or assists in transportation of patient from patient room to Operating Suite, and transport of specimens to and from the lab/blood bank.
· Participates in cleaning and restocking of the Operating Rooms.
· Assists Instrument Room Coordinator with the assembling and processing of sterile instrument sets, and supplies.
· Assists in other duties as assigned i.e., covering the front desk, and scheduling of cases.
· Be available for call as assigned by supervisor.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Knowledge of standard AORN OR protocols, procedures, and conduct.
Knowledge of sterile technique, infection control, and safety procedures related to surgery.
Knowledge of surgical procedures.
Knowledge of age specific needs ranging from infants to elderly patients sufficient to provide and use appropriate supplies, equipment, positioning devices, and safety devices.
Knowledge of universal precautions.
Skill in operating a wide range of surgical equipment and devices.
Ability to work in a high stress critical care situation.
· Know the definitions of fundamental computer terms related to applications software and desktop PC's
· Know how to open, read, and respond to email
· Know how to manage electronic files
· Know how to print electronic documents and reports
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Successful completion of a course in Surgical Technology.
Successful completion of a Licensed Vocational Nursing School.
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION:
Certified in BCLS.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Works in a temperature controlled environment.
Read, write, and speak fluent English.
Vision for near, mid-range, far.
Communicate well with employees, patients, and physicians.
Hearing for low, medium, and high pitched sounds.
Physical ability for standing, sitting, crouching, kneeling, frequent walking, reaching above the head and below the waist.
There is potential for contact with chemicals, blood borne pathogens, and exposure to infectious disease.
Should be able to lift 50 – 75 pounds using proper lifting techniques several times during shift.