Texas Tech University Assistant Librarian - Outreach and Engagement Librarian in Lubbock, Texas
To serve the information needs of library clientele in assigned subject area(s) to include liaison, collection development, user instruction and reference activities; must also cooperate and function as part of a team to provide services to all library users. This is an entry-level rank assigned to those beginning their professional careers or those, who upon their appointment, do not meet the criteria of Associate Librarian. Work is performed under general supervision with latitude for individual initiative and judgment. Evaluation of employee performance is based upon accomplishment of defined objectives.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the Head of Research, Instruction & Outreach, the Outreach and Engagement Librarian is a tenure-track faculty position with key responsibilities that will lead the Libraries' efforts in supporting Texas Tech's priority to transform lives and communities through strategic outreach and engaged scholarship. This new position will work collaboratively to develop relationships with both internal and external communities, initiate innovative programs and actively promote the role of the library as a partner to ensure student, faculty and staff success. The Outreach and Engagement Librarian will be responsible for identifying potential alliances and the creation, implementation and assessment of programming, activities and projects designed to facilitate engagement beyond our campus borders that will promote new knowledge creation.
As a library faculty member, the Outreach and Engagement Librarian is expected to participate in service/engagement, teaching/teaching support and research/creative activities to meet the Libraries and University requirements for tenure and promotion.
- Take the lead in identifying, cultivating and developing outreach and engagement activities, making direct connections students, faculty and staff and the community at large to promote and support collaborations and activities that will enhance success at all levels.
- Collaborate with the Head of Research, Instruction and Outreach, the Public Services Team, and Public Programming an Outreach Team in the Libraries and identify other partners to facilitate engagement beyond the campus and assist with the coordination of resources in the support of educational success, student development and new knowledge creation.
- Participate in programs and events that support student recruitment, academic preparedness, and retention.
- Support information literacy integration into first-year programs including but not limited to Raider Ready (IS 1100, Freshmen Seminar), First Year Composition and Second Year Literature classes.
- Provide instruction for courses, workshops and programs.
- Contribute toward the development and teaching of the Libraries' credit bearing course.
- Engage in scholarly pursuits and other professional activities in accordance with Texas Tech Libraries' standards for tenure and promotion.
- Engage in service to the Libraries, the University, and to professional organizations by participating in committee work, projects, and contributory achievements.
- Will be required to work some evenings and weekends (Work Sunday-Thursday)
Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
Academic library experience. Proven ability to create and assess innovative programming. Experience with integrated library and discovery systems. Proven project management skills. Experience teaching in an academic library setting. Supervisory experience. Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and to diverse audiences. Ability to work in a team environment where consultation, flexibility, creativity, collaboration and cooperation are essential. Proven time management skills. Experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran. Texas Tech welcomes consideration of dual career and professional couple accommodations.
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Extended Job Title: Assistant Librarian - Outreach and Engagement Librarian
Work Location: Lubbock
Org Level 1: Texas Tech University
Campus: Texas Tech University
Does this position work in a research laboratory?: No
Required Attachments: Cover Letter Professional/Personal References Resume / CV
Job Type: Full Time
Pay Basis: Monthly
Salary Grade: 800
Travel Required: Up to 25%
Schedule Details: Sunday - Thursday; 12:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Grant Funded?: No
Requisition ID: 13771BR