Texas Tech University Open Rank Professor - Department Chairperson in Lubbock, Texas
Position Overview The scholar and leader chosen as Chair of the Department of Hospitality and Retail Management will combine an exceptional array of skills and abilities with the vision, initiative, passion, and energy to make a decisive impact and capitalize on a superb career-advancing opportunity. Progression of professional as well as academic experience, verifiable accomplishments in industry, and strong interpersonal and communications skills will distinguish the winning professional appointed to this key role.
The College of Human Sciences seeks an energetic and dynamic individual to ensure a relevant, rigorous, and meaningful 21st Century educational experience for students. The ideal candidate will bring skill sets and experience to facilitate the professional development and placement of hospitality and retail management graduates; recruit high quality, research-productive faculty; promote excellence in teaching and an active research environment; forge cooperative partnerships with alumni and professional constituencies; actively pursue fundraising; advance the department’s interest within the college and university; and oversee the department’s budget.
Key Attractors Key points the organization believes will be strong attractors to top candidates.
- This is a career-defining opportunity to serve as Department Chair for a financially sound, nationally prominent higher education institution and to help position Texas Tech University among the nation’s preeminent universities.
- Here department chairs are given the latitude and autonomy to create and manage their departments, administration and faculty all share a common vision, and there is a clear pathway and distinct opportunity for the chosen Chair to help lead the Department to the next level – placing the TTU Department of Hospitality and Retail Management in the company of the best programs in the United States.
- The Chair will discover an environment where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with optimal quality of life in the economic, education, and health care hub of the thriving South Plains area, in a temperate climate that encourages year-round outdoor recreation within a tradition of relaxed hospitality. This region represents the foremost center of education and healthcare, including a nationally ranked public high school – home to the only International Baccalaureate (IB) program in the region and recognized for three consecutive years by Newsweek as one of the top public high schools in the nation. Family members of all ages will find here the elements that contribute to a safe and enjoyable lifestyle. A thriving economy (the 12th best place in the country to start a small business according to CNN.com), a caring community, a renowned public university, Division I collegiate athletics, and excellent public and private school options reflect the values of a family-focused community. This is a community that celebrates tradition while looking to the future and a city that prides itself on recognizing diversity, intensifying economic growth, and enjoying every cultural opportunity. For more complete details please see Selection Criteria.
- Background/experiences and skills/accomplishments that are key to the success of the Chair
- Career progression of documented accomplishments in increasingly complex educational and professional leadership roles. Candidates must have strong interpersonal and communication skills; an earned PhD or EdD in Hospitality, Retailing, or related field; evidence of successful teaching, research, and service as a tenured faculty member at a peer institution; and administrative experience. The ideal candidate is active within the industry and professional organizations with demonstrated leadership, including membership and involvement in CHRIE (Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education) or ITAA (International Textile and Apparel Association).
- Possesses professional credentials and career achievements sufficient to earn the respect of the campus and local communities. Strong commitment to remain on the leading edge of the hospitality and retail management professions. The ideal candidate brings classroom experience as an effective teacher at the undergraduate and graduate levels and a record of advancing/modernizing curriculum at all levels. Previous experience revamping or updating a doctoral level program is desirable.
- Experience and success securing external financial support. Desire and skill to constructively engage the private sector and relevant industries in the area to elevate the image of the department while also inspiring the faculty members to participate in fundraising efforts. Willingness and skill to engage alumni, and to become involved in other activities to promote program recognition.
- Demonstrated commitment to the concept of a student-centered institution, with a strong student orientation and a dedication to preparing students for success in a global environment. The ability to ensure excellence in academics throughout the department while fostering growth in enrollment, and preserving high academic standards for undergraduate and graduate students.
- The Chair has the skill to build commitment, involvement and morale, establishing a culture of excellence, and the ability to develop and inspire strategic relationships with faculty and staff to identify needs and critical success factors and to strengthen the overall effectiveness of academic, research and scholarship initiatives.
- Demonstrated skill in resource allocation.
- Skill to provide a leadership role in research, to offer guidance in regard to building a successful faculty-based research program, to help other faculty in their research endeavors, and to inspire and invigorate both tenured and non-tenured faculty to move the department’s research efforts forward.
- Track record of developing strong ties within the professional community to increase job and career opportunities for university graduates, and proven skill to create a professional development infrastructure for students to provide a smooth transition into career placement.
- Skilled relationship builder with capacity to initiate and foster collaborative partnerships and positive relationships. Interacts with consistency throughout the University and adapts easily to the institution’s culture. Demonstrated skill in gaining administrative support for departmental initiatives and record of serving as a passionate advocate for the department and its faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated past success in the identification, recruitment and retention of professional faculty. Proven effective interpersonal skills to interact with people at all levels of the institution. Send your resume, cover letter, current bio/profile, to: ChairHospitality&RetailMgmt;@WhelessPartners.com
For more information or to discuss this position, contact: Lisa J. Marks, Senior Partner & Chief Operations Officer Leyla Kayi, Senior Search Consultant 413.335.6936
Academic degree as defined by the academic unit and as appropriate for the position held. Demonstrated record of effectiveness as a teacher, a record of peer reviewed publication and/or peer-reviewed creative activity which has contributed to the discipline or field of study, to the candidate’s intellectual and artistic development, and to the quality of the academic enterprise; a record of professional service appropriate to the discipline; promise of growth in teaching and research or artistic and creative activity
Desired Leadership Attributes Those human traits and abilities that are key to the success of the Chair, Department of Hospitality and Retail Management.
- A participatory, collaborative, energetic, engaging, service-oriented personality with a bias for action and the proven “can do” drive to execute strategies and produce results beyond expectations. A smart, effective, team oriented leader.
- High level of professional appearance, demeanor, civility and respect for others.
- An approachable, positive minded, likeable persona with a sense of humor and exceptional relational skills. Discernment to effectively “read” people. Skill to rapidly gain confidences. Collaborative, sharing demeanor.
- Responsive listening skills, outstanding mentoring skills, and active interest in the personal and professional development of others.
- Demonstrates fair consideration and respect to various viewpoints. Respectful toward faculty governance, yet with leadership courage to make difficult decisions that fit the needs of the department.
- Effective social skills. Politically astute, yet not political. Proven to be discreet with confidential information.
- Successful experience in managing and resolving conflict. Ability to sell a point in a non-polarizing manner.
- Possesses humility and a servant heart. Uses transparency in operations and decision-making processes.
- Demonstrates mutual respect for diverse cultures and inclusivity and a commitment to a diverse faculty, staff, and student population.
- Innovative, creative, strategic, and future-oriented, with robust commitment to the mission, strategic plan and growth strategies of the department and the University.
- Exceptional planning, time management, follow-through and organizational abilities.
- Possesses a strong moral compass along with personal and professional integrity beyond reproach, reflected in accountability, transparency, ethical behavior, honesty, and reliability.
- Possesses ability to analyze existing paradigms and create streamlined processes. Proficiency in identifying problems and opportunities, using creativity to map and bring about solutions.
- Excellent presentation, negotiation, verbal and written communication skills. An energetic and highly visible leader who can articulate and communicate the institution’s mission and vision to internal and external constituencies. A demonstrated and on-going commitment to serving diverse student populations highly desirable.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran. Texas Tech welcomes consideration of dual career and professional couple accommodations.
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Extended Job Title: Open Rank Professor - Department Chairperson
Work Location: Lubbock
Org Level 1: Texas Tech University
Campus: Texas Tech University
Department: Hospitality and Retail Mgmt
Does this position work in a research laboratory?: No
Required Attachments: Recommendation/Referral Resume / CV
Job Type: Full Time
Pay Basis: Monthly
Salary Grade: 800
Travel Required: Up to 50%
Grant Funded?: No
Requisition ID: 11901BR