Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) - Care Coordination - Internal in Lubbock, Texas
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1979871
This is an Internal Announcement, Open to*internal employees located at the Amarillo VA facility and/or it's CBOC or VA Agency Wide employees, or other current Federal employees. -*
If you do NOT meet the above area of consideration, please click link to apply under the U.S. Citizen*External announcement:*SE-17-JM-1983607-BU.
Note: First consideration will be given to internal applicants of the Amarillo VA Health Care System and it's Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs).
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/ Amarillo has something for everyone: Arts and Culture, family fun, heritage/history, and outdoor adventures. Amarillo is centrally located from skiing the New Mexico and Colorado Mountains, as well as being centrally located to Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Albuquerque NM, Denver CO and Oklahoma City, OK. Amarillo residents enjoy big city life with small town atmosphere with a low cost of living and no state income tax.
DISCOVER AMARILLO at: http://www.amarillo-chamber.org http://www.visitamarillotx.com/index.cfm
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Amarillo VA Healthcare System, Amarillo is currently recruiting for Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN) for the VA Community Care Service for the Lubbock Outpatient Clinic (LOPC).The VA Community Care Services (VCCS) LVN is responsible for the management and processing of the non-VA care (fee) consultations and works collaboratively with the VCCS Registered Nurse Case Managers. Other duties of the incumbent include but not limited to:
- Reviews all non-VA care consultation, conducts analysis of medical documentation from a variety of sources, related to the specific episode of care to assure appropriate medical necessity, and determines and coordinates the appropriate appointment with a variety of medical specialists in the community, secures timely appointments, and assures appropriate medical documentation is available for the treating physician prior to the scheduled appointment.
- Assures resources are applied in the most cost effective manner while providing quality patient care.
- Assures that non-VA healthcare is utilized consistent with applicable laws and regulations.
- Conducts research and follow up inquiry and examination of facts on inquiries from Veterans, physicians, hospitals, medical offices, etc. and makes recommendations and assists with the coordination and expeditious resolution of problems.
- Responsible for giving technical assistance to Veterans and/or personal representatives related to non-VA care coordination. Identifies and refers questionable or inappropriate requests for non-VA care back to the Nurse Case Manager(s) for resolution.
- Demonstrates active collaboration and communication with Teamlet (Patient, Primary Care Provider, and RN Care Manager) and Larger Team members (family/caregiver, internal and community based services and disciplines) involved in providing care to the patient.
Work Schedule: 8:00 am 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday Functional Statement Title: Licensed Vocational Nurse Community Care Service
THIS POSITION IS IN THE BARGAINING UNIT
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Internal employees located at the Amarillo VA facility and/or it's CBOC or VA Agency Wide employees, or other current Federal employees.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure
- Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education. Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate state agency and/or the National League for Nursing (NLNAC) at the time the program was completed OR Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.
- Licensure. Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a licensed practical nurse or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the US or District of Columbia.
- Physical Standards. Be able to submit to and pass pre-employment physical, labs, screenings.
- English Language Proficiency. Must be proficient in both spoken and written English.
Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements stated in above, the following qualification criteria must be met for the GS-06.
1.Completion of at least (1) year of qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LN. - Individual's at this grade level are expected to have a broad working knowledge of practical nursing procedures. However, completion of more complex practices or procedures may be subject to closer higher-level review. AND, the following criteria must be met:
Demonstrated knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients.
Demonstrated ability to serve as a responsible member of the nursing team and interact in an appropriate manner with patients, family members, professional and other supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care, incorporating acceptable, established customer service standards into practice.
Knowledge and skill sufficient to prepare, administer, and appropriately document actions taken specific to commonly prescribed oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular, and/or intravenous medications as permitted by approved local facility policies and procedures. Observation and documentation will include patient's response to medical administered and the reporting of any noted change in patient's condition to RN or MD/DO.
Knowledge and ability to recognize the need for and to institute emergency measures when indicated, promptly seek he assistance of the RN or MD/DO, and assist in resuscitation procedures in cardiac and/or pulmonary arrest.
Recognizes and appropriately responds to breakage/malfunction or loss of equipment, safety hazards, and supply deficiencies, promptly reporting to appropriate personnel for corrective action.
Completed work is under the general supervision of an RN or MD/DO. Individuals at this grade level are expected to have a broad working knowledge of practical nursing procedures. However, completion of more complex practices or procedures may be subject to closer higher-level review.
AND 2. In addition, for the GS-06 grade level; the following criteria must be met:
Technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selection the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's need for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic and age-related factors.
Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures.
Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviation from normal to RN or MD/DO.
Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiated appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
Establishes constructive relations with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills.
Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which preparing the patient, assisting in diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedures.
- Qualifying experience is successful nursing practice [as an LPN/LVN,] maintaining acceptable standards within a health care setting under the direction of a registered nurse [(RN)] or physician [(MD/DO)].
- To be creditable, practical nursing experience (as an LPN or LVN) must be documented on the application and verified in an employment reference or through other [independent] means.
Preferred Experience: 25 years of general medical/surgical (Med/Surg) experience, or 2-5 years of general case management experience. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience: including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G13, Licensed Practical OR- Licensed Vocational Nurse VA Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/473752100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-07 to 2017-07-27
Salary: $40,012 to $52,020 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Series: 0620 Practical Nurse
Appointment type: Excepted Service Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: SE-17-JM-1979871-BU
Control number: 473752100