Texas Tech University Chairman, Department of Internal Medicine in Lubbock, Texas
Contributes to the university’s mission through teaching, research and service, some variation by academic unit.
The Chair serves at the discretion of and has responsibilities and authority delegated by the Dean, School of Medicine. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide direction to the department and all its pursuits, following all institutional and School of Medicine policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the faculty in education, research and clinical care.
- Assure efficient administration and responsible financial management of the department. Audits conducted by various institutional groups on the department must show appropriate and sufficient management and control of business, personnel, finance, and billing/coding processes.
- Collaborate with and support co-endeavors with the University Medical Center and Covenant Health System, seeking new opportunities with the teaching hospitals that will strengthen the teaching and clinical missions of the department.
- Assure high quality teaching programs for students, residents, fellows, faculty and post-graduates.
- Maintain a high quality residency and fellowship programs with all the necessary accreditations and recruit the best possible residents and fellows.
- Maintain high quality clinical programs in Internal Medicine including efficient referrals and management thereof. Maintain a first-rate clinical and research program.
- Recruit the best possible faculty to carry out the department’ and School of Medicine’s missions.
- Comply with all LCME requirements.
- Manage the Medical Practice Income Plan in the department in compliance with the plan bylaws, federal, state rules and guidelines, and institutional and School of Medicine policies and procedures.
- Continue collaboration and develop positive working relationships with other departments on this campus and on the regional campuses where appropriate.
- Work with School of Medicine leadership to keep a positive Internal Medicine operating budget and fund balance. Assist with determining and negotiating the best possible compensation for services provided to the affiliated hospitals.
- Assure that department puts forth its best efforts to achieve success on Key Performance Indicators of the Medical Income Practice Plan which include: patient satisfaction, quality, financial performance, business growth and employee satisfaction.
Academic degree as defined by the academic unit and as appropriate for the position held. Demonstrated record of effectiveness as a teacher, a record of peer reviewed publication and/or peer-reviewed creative activity which has contributed to the discipline or field of study, to the candidate’s intellectual and artistic development, and to the quality of the academic enterprise; a record of professional service appropriate to the discipline; promise of growth in teaching and research or artistic and creative activity
Must hold a medical degree and have clinical experience in addition to a substantial record of teaching and research that will qualify them for the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor in Internal Medicine. They must also possess exceptional leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, significant administrative experience, as well as planning and decision making capabilities necessary to lead an academic organization. A record of commitment to, distinction in, and respect for educational scholarly activities must also be present in the portfolio of the successful applicant.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Extended Job Title: Chairman, Department of Internal Medicine
Work Location: Lubbock
Org Level 1: Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Ctr
Campus: HSC - Lubbock
Department: Internal Med Dept Lbk Genl
Does this position work in a research laboratory?: No
Required Attachments: Resume / CV
Job Type: Full Time
Pay Basis: Monthly
Minimum Hire Rate: salary commensurate with related education, experience and/or skills
Salary Grade: 800
Travel Required: Up to 25%
Grant Funded?: No
Requisition ID: 10477BR